A One Read Art Exhibit
Orr Street Studios (106 Orr Street, Columbia)
“Bleary-eyed, they find places to pull off the road and rest. In Walmart parking lots. On quiet suburban streets. At truck stops, amid the lullaby of idling engines. Then in the early morning hours—before anyone notices—they’re back on the highway. Driving on, they’re secure in this knowledge: The last free place in America is a parking spot.”
~ Jessica Bruder, “Nomadland”
Inspired by the examination of this century’s new migrant workers in the 2019 One Read book “Nomadland,” we invite Mid-Missouri artists ages 16 and older to contribute works reflecting any expression of travel or travelers, be it in nature, on the highway or in the imagination. Art for this exhibit should evoke passage, relocation or journeying.
Cash prizes will be awarded for three winners, sponsored by Columbia’s Office of Cultural Affairs. The third place winner will receive $50, the second place winner $75 and the first place winner $125. First place will also receive a one-year membership to the Columbia Art League.
- Artists must be at least 16 years of age.
- Artists may submit one original work in any visual medium.
- Pieces should be ready for display; pieces without secure hanging wire cannot be accepted (no sawtooth hangers, please).
- Work should be labeled on the back with your name, phone number or email and title of the work.
- Submit artwork to Orr Street Studios (106 Orr Street, Columbia).
- Submission forms will be available at Orr Street on the dates below, or you may print and fill one out to bring in with your work (Microsoft Word and PDF versions available).
- Submission dates are:
Thursday, August 29, 2-5 p.m.
Friday, August 30, 4-6 p.m.
Saturday, August 31, 11 a.m – 2 p.m.
- At the end of the exhibit, artists can pick up their work Saturday, September 28, 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. and Sunday, September 29, 9:30 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Questions? Contact Lauren Williams at (573) 443-3161 or by email.