Beneath the Surface
A One Read Art Exhibit
Orr Street Studios (106 Orr Street, Columbia)
“In May, when coyotes howl beneath an unnervingly large moon, taller plants, such as spiderworts and black-eyed Susans, begin to creep over the tinier blooms, stealing their light and water. The necks of the smaller flowers break and their petals flutter away, and before long they are buried underground.”
~ David Grann, “Killers of the Flower Moon”
Inspired by the 2018 One Read selection’s many-layered mysteries, we invite Mid-Missouri artists ages 16 and older to contribute works that explore what lies beneath the surface — of land, of water, the mask of a loved-one’s face or a well-worn story. Expose something hidden.
Cash prizes will be awarded for three winners, courtesy of Columbia’s Office of Cultural Affairs. The third place winner will receive $50, the second place winner $75 and the first place winner $125. First place will also receive a one-year membership to the Columbia Art League.
Art will be displayed August 29 – September 29 at Orr Street Studios (see orrstreetstudios.com for hours) with a reception and awards on Friday, September 7 at 6 p.m.
- Artists must be at least 16 years of age.
- Artists may submit one original work in any visual medium.
- Pieces should be ready for display; pieces without secure hanging wire cannot be accepted (no sawtooth hangers, please).
- Work should be labeled on the back with your name, phone number or email and title of the work.
- Submit artwork to Orr Street Studios (106 Orr Street, Columbia).
- Submission forms will be available at Orr Street on the dates below, or you may print and fill one out to bring in with your work (Microsoft Word and PDF versions available).
- Submission dates are:
Thursday, August 23, Noon-4 p.m.
Friday, August 24, Noon-4 p.m.
Saturday, August 25, 11 a.m-2 p.m.
- At the end of the exhibit, artists can pick up their work Saturday, September 29, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. and Sunday, September 30, 10 a.m.-Noon
Questions? Contact Lauren Williams at (573) 443-3161 or by email.