A One Read Art Exhibit
Orr Street Studios (106 Orr Street, Columbia)
“The newly arrived spring – the spots of color, the surprise of birdsong – gave the neighborhood a tumbledown, romantic quality. It reassured Lelah that the ghetto could still hold beauty, and that streets with this much new life could still have good in them.”
~ Angela Flournoy, “The Turner House”
Inspired by this year’s One Read selection, we invite Mid-Missouri artists ages 16 and older to contribute works that explore shelter or dwellings of any kind – homes, neighborhoods, families or places that give people or animals refuge.
Cash prizes will be awarded for three winners, courtesy of Columbia’s Office of Cultural Affairs. The third place winner will receive $50, the second place winner $75 and the first place winner $125. First place will also receive a one-year membership to the Columbia Art League. Art will be displayed August 27 through September 29 at Orr Studios with a reception, awards and program on Friday, September 1 at 6 p.m.
- Artists must be at least 16 years of age.
- Artists may submit one original work in any visual medium.
- Pieces should be ready for display; pieces without secure hanging wire cannot be accepted (no sawtooth hangers, please).
- Work should be labeled on the back with your name, phone number or email and title of the work.
- Submit artwork to Orr Street Studios (106 Orr Street, Columbia).
- Submission forms will be available at Orr Street on the dates below, or you may print and fill one out to bring in with your work (Microsoft Word and PDF versions available).
- Submission dates are:
Thursday, August 24, 12-4 p.m.
Friday, August 25, 12-4 p.m.
Saturday, August 26, 11 a.m-2 p.m.
- At the end of the exhibit, artists can pick up their work Saturday, September 30, 10-2 p.m. and Sunday, October 1, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Questions? Contact Lauren Williams at (573) 443-3161 or by email.