“The sky is our sea here, our object of contemplation in all its moods and shades. My father taught me to observe it…My father loved to watch, in autumn, the long scarves of lonely birds, flying, finally together, toward home.”
~ George Hodgman, “Bettyville”
“Missouri in the springtime is pretty hard to beat, little boy.”
~ Betty Hodgman
Inspired by this year’s One Read selection, we invite Mid-Missouri artists to contribute works that explore the Midwestern landscape, rural communities, family houses or other scenes from this place we call home.
Cash prizes will be awarded for three winners, courtesy of Columbia’s Office of Cultural Affairs. The third place winner will receive $50, the second place winner $75 and the first place winner $125. The first place winner will also receive a $100 voucher towards a class at the Columbia Art League. Art will be displayed August 28 through September 24 at Orr Street Studios with a reception, awards and program on Tuesday, September 13 at 6:30 p.m.
- Artists must be at least 16 years of age.
- Artists may submit one original work in any visual medium.
- Pieces should be ready for display; pieces without secure hanging wire cannot be accepted (no sawtooth hangers, please).
- Work should be labeled on the back with your name, phone number or email and title of the work.
- Submit artwork to Orr Street Studios (106 Orr Street, Columbia).
- Submission forms will be available at Orr Street on the dates below, or you may print and fill one out to bring in with your work.
- Submission dates are:
- Thursday, August 25, Noon-3 p.m
- Friday, August 26, Noon-3 p.m.
- Saturday, August 27, 10 a.m.-Noon
- At the end of the exhibit, artists can pick up their work Saturday, Sept 24, Noon-3 p.m. and Sunday, September 25, Noon-3 p.m.
Questions? Contact Lauren Williams at (573) 443-3161 or by email.