“No more diving into pools of chlorinated water lit green from below. No more ball games played out under floodlights. No more porch lights with moths fluttering on summer nights. No more trains running under the surface of cities on the dazzling power of the electric third rail. No more cities.” ~ Emily St. John Mandel, “Station Eleven”
If the world were changed by sudden catastrophe – no electricity, medicine, Internet, transportation – what would you miss most? Inspired by this year’s One Read selection, we invite mid-Missouri artists to contribute works that explore the objects or relationships in our connected, complex and electrified world we’d yearn for most if they were lost to us.
Cash prizes will be awarded for three winners, courtesy of Columbia’s Office of Cultural Affairs. The third place winner will receive $50, the second place winner $75 and the first place winner $125. The first place winner will also receive a one-year membership to the Columbia Art League. Art will be displayed August 31 through September 26 at Orr Street Studios with a reception, awards and program on Tuesday, September 15, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
- Artists must be at least 16 years of age.
- Artists may submit one work in any visual medium.
- Pieces should be ready for display; pieces without secure hanging wire cannot be accepted (no sawtooth hangers, please).
- Work should be labeled on the back with your name, phone number or email and title of the work.
- Submit artwork to Orr Street Studios (106 Orr Street, Columbia).
- Submission forms will be available at Orr Street on the dates below, or you may print and fill one out to bring in with your work.
- Submission dates are:
- Friday, August 28, Noon-5 p.m.
- Saturday, August 29, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
- At the end of the exhibit, artists can pick up their work Friday, Sept 25, 12-5 p.m. and Saturday, September 26, 10-3 p.m.
Questions? Contact Lauren Williams at 573-443-3161 or by E-mail.