A One Read Art Exhibit
Orr Street Studios (106 Orr Street, Columbia)
“Your heart’s love has no land, no homeland, no address.” ~ poet Nizar Qabbani, as quoted by Keija Parssinen in “The Ruins of Us”
Inspired by this year’s One Read selection, we invite Mid-Missouri artists to contribute works that explore the idea of home, of leaving and returning, or what Parssinen calls “that mysterious child-love for a left-behind place,” a place that largely exists in one’s imagination or memory. Cash prizes will be awarded for three winners, courtesy of Columbia’s Office of Cultural Affairs. The third place winner will receive $50, the second place winner $75 and the first place winner $125 plus a free educational class from the Columbia Art League. Art will be displayed September 8-21 at Orr Street Studios with an opening reception, awards and program on Tuesday, September 10 at 6 p.m.
- Artists must be at least 16 years of age.
- Artists may submit one work in any visual medium.
- Pieces should be ready for display (with secure hanging wire if applicable).
- Work should be labeled on the back with your name, phone number or email, title of the work and medium used.
- Submit artwork to Orr Street Studios (106 Orr Street, Columbia).
- Submission dates are:
- Friday, September 6, Noon-3 p.m.
- Saturday, September 7, Noon-3 p.m.
- Sunday, September 8, 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
- After the exhibit, artists can pick up their artwork Sunday, September 22 between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. or Monday, September 23 between noon and 3 p.m.
Questions? Contact Lauren Williams at 573-443-3161 or by e-mail.