As part of the 2011 One Read program, we invited Missouri artists to contribute works inspired by the human body, the strange beauty of a cell viewed through a microscope or other intersections of art and science.
Professional artist and president of the Missouri Watercolor Society’s Board of Directors George “Papa” Tutt judged the artwork submitted, and we are pleased to announce the following winners.
- First place: Dennis Murphy for his painting “Map #19 (DNA).”
- Second place: Hannah Hollister Ingmire for her painting “Like Feathers, Henrietta’s Cells Flew Out Into the World.”
- Third place: Rena Rong for her untitled watercolor.
- Honorable Mention: Jean Neely for her work in colored pencil, “Magicicada neotredecim.”
- Honorable Mention: Pam Gainor for her tapestry quilt, “Chimayo.”
Thank you to the City of Columbia Office of Cultural Affairs, the Columbia Art League and Ragtag Cinema for generously donating prizes for our winners. And a special thank you to all of our area artists who submitted their work. All works submitted will be on display on the first floor of the Columbia Public Library through October 14.
The 2011 National Members’ Invitational exhibit hosted by the Missouri Watercolor Society will be on display at the Boone County Historical Society through October 30.